Tales of Taiwan

Tales of Taiwan
Summer 2010. That's when I first moved to Taiwan. I came here to teach English for six months and I ended falling in love with this little island. That is why, after being home for a year, I had to move back.This time to dance. I can't wait to see what adventures lie in my path this time...

Thursday, November 18, 2010

A Halibote Interlude...


"I sometimes find, and I am sure you know the feeling, that I simply have too many thoughts and memories crammed into my mind.... At these times.... I use the Pensieve. One simple siphons the excess thoughts from one's mind, pours them into the basin, and examines them at one's leisure."
-J.K. Rowling, "The Pensieve," Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, 2000, spoken by the character Albus Dumbledore


If you haven't figured it out yet, I am dedicating this blog post to my old friend, Harry Potter. Indeed, my very old friend. I have been closely acquainted with the old HP since about the fourth grade and he has never let me down. Therefore, as we approach the beginning of the end of this glorious saga, I couldn't help but let it influence my classes. And of course, I felt the need to record it here. After all, I have often thought of this little blog as my own Taiwanese Pensieve.

First off, I want to describe a few of my favorite Potter moments that have found their way into my life here in Taiwan: 1. The Knight Bus = every bus ride in this blessed country. It doesn't matter where you are or where you are going, you can't help but wonder if you'll see Stan Shunpike as you board and as you zip through spaces that no muggle bus has the right to squeeze through. 2. Riding my bike, or rather, my firebolt through the streets of Changhua as I rushed to make it to the movie on time. It was definitely a new Harry Potter movie premier experience for me, but nevertheless a good one. 3. I am seriously considering taking on the Chinese name for Hermione as my own Chinese name. It sounds something like :Meow Li. Any thoughts?

In preparation for the wonderful movie release, I thought of a few excuses for Harry Potter themed activities in class. In my Basic Reading class we learned a poem about Harry and I asked my students to draw a picture of the poem. I was quite pleased with the results. Here are a few of my favorites:

The blonde Harry...
The Asian Harry....
Classic....
In action....
Angry Harry.... (probably from book five.)
Well prepared, wand, broom and all....
Conjuring a patronus...?

In my 4A class we have been reading the Sorcerer's Stone so they were more than happy to participate in a little language arts activity in class. I had them fill out a small questionnaire entitled "If you went to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry..." Here are a few of my favorite answers and pictures from the class:

What House would you be sorted into? Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, Gryffindor, or Slytherin?

Alice: If I went to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry I would go to Gryffindor. I think the sorting hat would tell me to go to Hufflepuff, but I don't like it.

Trevor: I will choose Slytherin because I want to be rich and powerful. I will be thte king of the world and everyone will like me. And I will be the richest person in the world.

Winnie: I think I would be in Gryffindor. I am the Bravest!

What would be your favorite class?

Alice: I think I my favorite class would be Charms. I like to fly and I wish I could fly. CHarms is my favorite class because I think the wind is comfortable.

Kevin: I want to be in the Quiddich

Ian: I want to be in Defense Against the Dark Arts, I want to be in that class because I think that will be fun. And I think I can learn a lot of things and magics.

Winnie: My favorite class is Defense Against the Dark Art! I can learn alot of things in this class. I will never go to potions, I don't want to see Snape.

Would you be friends with Harry Potter or Draco Malfoy?

Ian: I want to be friends with Harry Potter, because I think Harry is very brave in the book. I think Draco Malfoy likes himself alot and he is very stupid, so I want to be friends with Harry.

Winnie: I will make friends with Harry Potter. Draco Malfoy is the worst! Maybe when I see him I will give him a Petrificus Totalus, and throw him into Gringort, so he will never get back to Hogwarts.

If you could make up one spell what would it be called and what would it do?

Alice: If I could make up one spell it would be called Crazy (Name). It could make everything come to that person and that thing would be your servant.

Kevin: Hufflepuffravenclawgryffindorslytherin, It can make another person's power change to me.

Winnie: My spell makes the people that lie tell the truth. I will use it on Draco Malfoy and tell him to say where Fordimore is.

Eunice: If I could make up a spell I will make "Hi Bye: because when people come to my house I will just say "Hi Bye" and it will be quick!!!

Ian: I would make a spell called "_____ _____ go to _____" You can take something to somewhere like "pencil pencil go to pencil box" I think this is good. And dementors will go away!





And now for the crowning jewel of my tribute to HP. While looking for a good location to watch the aforementioned film, I came across a synopsis of the movie in Chinese. After google translate did the honors this is what I was left with. If this doesn't make you want to see the movie then I don't know what will....

The age of seventeen Halibote curse about to lose the protection of the mother, who was the first time Voldemort's hands, "the dead food," Strike, in order to protect Harry, the members of the Phoenix will pay a lot of valuable life as a price worth do not know why so many people sacrifice for him, Harry, in constant grief, frustration and fled career led him think of Dumbledore spiritual body eliminate sub-task, to eliminate the "Voldemort" and the only The only way to destroy his soul body Caixing all the points.

At the same time, however, has left Dumbledore, Harry, Hermione and Ron three nondescript three relics, which involved three possessions? Death was sacred to the human three mysterious ancient legends, as long as the holders of three Deathly Hallows, will be able to become the master of death, is a master of sacred objects can defeat Voldemort? ! This is a lonely journey to flee, but also a test of Harry, Ron and Hermione's friendship three people, what is to destroy Voldemort's divided soul body important thing is to find the Deathly Hallows bear comparison, three good friends in the serious differences of opinion ....

And with that said, I just want to say that in my humble opinion, the film was absolutely marvelous. As much like the book as I could ever hope for. Daniel Radcliff played and excellent Runcorn. The Tale of the Three Brothers was beautifully animated. Dobby's passing was heartbreaking. And I cannot wait for the next movie. I have designs to rent a theater for all my best pals for the final installment. If you are reading this, consider it an official invitation to the Harry Potter Party of the Century. Whether big fan or small, all you need is a love for magic and a willingness to dress up and make a fool of yourself. ...this is, of course, only if the movie theater renting plan truly comes to pass...

And the final word of this blog post will probably only make sense to Nicole, but here we are, and without much further adieu...... SCAR!

1 comment:

  1. SCAR! You should send those Harry Potter activities from your classes to JKR. I don't know if she would read them, but if I were her, I would be delighted.

    ReplyDelete